All American Apple Pie
Recipe by Meredith Hay
Bake America Great
Bake America Great
Nothing says American like an apple pie. Surprise guests with taking it one step further with a patriotic crust! The crust can be made the day in advance to cut down on prep time, and as always the pie is served best on a hot summer day with a side of vanilla ice cream.
- [Pie Crust] Double the Pie Crust Ingredients, but make them one at a time for best results
- [Pie Crust] In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt to combine.
- [Pie Crust] Add the butter, tossing the cubes in the flour to coat. Rub the butter into the flour until it is the size of walnut halves (for a flaky crust) or peas (for a mealy crust).
- [Pie Crust] Make a well in the center, and add the water a few tablespoons at a time and mix just until the dough comes together.
- [Pie Crust] Wrap the dough in plastic and chill well before rolling, forming, and baking.
- [Apple Pie Filling] In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie.
- Stamp out several stars using a star shaped cookie cutter, and arrange them across the upper left corner, as if you were recreating a flag.
- Next using a sharp knife, cut out “stripes” laying them across the filling, and crimp them into the base crust if necessary.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
- [Pie Crust] All-purpose flour, sifted x 1 1/4 cup
- [Pie Crust] Pinch of salt x 1
- [Pie Crust] Butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes x 8 tablespoon
- [Pie Crust] Ice water, or more as needed x 1/4 cup
- [Apple Pie Filling] Sugar x 1/2 cup
- [Apple Pie Filling] Packed Brown Sugar x 1/2 cup
- [Apple Pie Filling] All-purpose flour x 3 tablespoon
- [Apple Pie Filling] Ground cinnamon x 1 teaspoon
- [Apple Pie Filling] Ground ginger x 1/4 teaspoon
- [Apple Pie Filling] Ground nutmeg x 1/4 teaspoon
- [Apple Pie Filling] thinly sliced peeled tart apples x 6 1/2 cup
- [Apple Pie Filling] Lemon juice x 1 tablespoon
- [Apple Pie Filling] Double pie-crust pie (9 inches) x 1
- [Apple Pie Filling] Butter x 1 tablespoon
- [Apple Pie Filling] Large egg white x 1