Banana-Matcha Muffins with a Cheesecake Swirl
Recipe by Laura Z.
These moist and fluffy banana-matcha muffins make a quick and convenient breakfast or snack. A delicious swirl of cheesecake adds a velvety touch while the matcha powder packs a healthy dose of antioxidants. Enjoy with a cup of tea!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a muffin tin with non-stick baking spray. (12, if using a standard muffin tin, or 6 if using a jumbo muffin tin.)
- For the cheesecake filling: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg and the vanilla extract and continue beating until smooth. Transfer the mixture to the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the banana-matcha muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, coconut oil, egg, and brown sugar until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and matcha tea powder into a separate bowl.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fill each cavity about ¼ of the way with the banana-matcha batter.
- Evenly divide the cheesecake filling between each cavity, then top with the remaining banana-matcha batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes (jumbo) / 18 minutes (standard).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes before removing and cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Ripe bananas, mashed x 3
- Coconut oil, melted x 1/2 cup
- Eggs x 2
- Light brown sugar x 1/2 cup
- All-purpose flour x 1 1/2 cup
- Baking soda x 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder x 1 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/2 teaspoon
- Matcha tea powder x 1 tablespoon
- (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, softened x 1
- Granulated sugar x 1/3 cup
- Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon