Caramel Macchiato Biscotti
Recipe by Marie Nowacki
Biscotti are the traditional accompaniment to the afternoon cup of coffee, and these are special because their flavor is made to match! Adding caramel makes these decadent treats sweet, and the perfect addition to dip in a cup of coffee or (matching) caramel macchiato! Happy dunking :)
- Preheat your oven to 320⁰F and like a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Over low heat, melt the caramel chips until they are creamy and melted, making sure they do not burn by stirring. If they are not melting, add a dash of milk to help.
- In a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Next mix in the coffee and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until combined. Reduce the speed to medium-low and add the flour in one cup at a time (up to 3 cups), beating until just combined each time.
- Next add the baking powder and salt, and then blend in the melted caramel chip mixture. If the dough is too thin add more flour until it is stiff and marbled.
- Pat the dough into a rectangular shape on the sheet and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven.
- Keeping the oven heated, let the dough cool for 15 minutes before using a serrated knife to cut the cookies into 1/2 inch logs. Return the biscotti to the oven for 15 more minutes to dry out, and then cool completely.
- While the cookies are baking, make the Espresso Topping by whisking together the ingredients until smooth and combined. Pour into a clean glass bowl and set aside. When the biscotti cookies are cooled, spread the glaze topping and set them. You can then (optionally) sprinkle shaved almonds and crushed Heath Bar on top and wait for the glaze to set.
- Caramel or Butterscotch Chips x 3/4 cup
- Unsalted butter x 1 cup
- Granulated sugar x 1 cup
- Light brown sugar (packed) x 1/2 cup
- Eggs x 3
- Vanilla extract x 2 teaspoon
- brewed coffee x 2 tablespoon
- Flour x 3/4 cup
- Baking powder x 2 teaspoon
- Salt x 3/4 teaspoon
- Powdered sugar (Espresso Topping) x 1 cup
- Vanilla extract (Espresso Topping) x 1 tablespoon
- Espresso powder (Espresso Topping) x 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Heavy cream (Espresso Topping) x 3/4 tablespoon
- Crushed Heath Bars (Toffee Garnish - Optional) x 1
- Shaved almonds (Toffee Garnish - Optional) x 1