- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 9x5 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar on low speed until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated each time. Add the vanilla. In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, stir together sour cream and buttermilk. Add half the buttermilk mixture to the egg mixture and pulse the mixer until incorporated. Add half the flour mixture and mix again. Repeat with the remaining buttermilk mixture, mixing, and then the remaining flour mixture, beating until just incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and frosting.
- To make the frosting, place heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to just under boiling. The milk should be steamy and have little bubbles around the edges but not quite boiling. Remove from the heat and pour over chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. Stir until the chocolate chips are completely smooth and melted. Pour the frosting over the top of the cake and smooth the top to cover evenly. Sprinkle with shredded coconut and serve, or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- All-purpose flour x 1 1/4 cup
- Cocoa powder x 1/3 cup
- Baking powder x 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking soda x 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter, softened x 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar x 3/4 cup
- Eggs x 2
- Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon
- Sour cream x 1/2 cup
- Buttermilk x 1/2 cup
- Semisweet chocolate chips x 1 cup
- Heavy cream x 1/3 cup
- Shredded sweetened coconut x 1 cup