- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds and stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until almost completely melted, then stir until smooth and shiny. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add eggs, water, and vanilla. Stir with a wooden spoon just until incorporated. Add the melted chocolate and stir again until incorporated. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat. Place Turbinado sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to get round balls of chilled dough, then roll in Turbinado sugar until completely coated. Place on the prepared cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake 12-14 minutes until slightly soft in the center but no longer wet. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to three days.
- Semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped x 6 ounce
- Unsalted butter x 2 tablespoon
- All-purpose flour x 1 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder x 2 tablespoon
- Baking powder x 1 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/4 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar x 3/4 cup
- Eggs x 2
- Water x 2 tablespoon
- Pure vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon
- Turbinado sugar x 1/2 cup