Cranberry-Nut Rolls With Eggnog Icing
Recipe by Kim S
Tis the Season...
Tis the Season...
This twist on the traditional cinnamon roll evokes feelings of the holidays. The eggnog adds just enough spice to be interesting, without overpowering the other flavors. These rolls are perfect for your Christmas morning breakfast.
- Make the Dough: Mix the eggnog, 4 T butter, sugar, salt, vanilla, and yeast in a bowl. Whisk together the flour and cornstarch. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients until a ball has formed. Your dough should be smooth and elastic, but not too dry. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes in a mixer. Set the dough aside to rise for an hour. Once the dough has risen, punch down and knead a few times by hand. Roll out your dough, on a floured surface, until it forms a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. The more "square-like" your rectangle, the bigger the rolls (but you will have fewer).
- Assemble the Filling: Once the dough is rolled, apply melted butter with a pastry brush. Coat the entire surface. Sprinkle 1/4 cup of white sugar evenly on top of the butter. Evenly distribute the cranberries and nuts on top of the sugar and sprinkle with the orange peel. Slowly roll the front edge of the dough over the filling and keep rolling until you have a tube. Tuck the ends under to seal. Using a serrated knife, cut the rolls so that they are about two fingers in width. Place the cut rolls in a buttered baking dish with about one inch on all sides of each roll. Cover and set aside to rise in a warm place. Once the rolls have risen, bake them in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for about 30 minutes. The best way to tell if they are done is to look for a faint golden brown color on top. The filling will start to bubble and the smell will fill the room. Remove from the oven and let cool while you make the icing.
- To Make the Icing: Melt two tablespoons of butter and combine it with 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, and just enough eggnog to make a thin icing (about 3 Tbsp). The icing will thicken as it cools. Spoon the icing on top of the cooled (but still slightly warm rolls) and enjoy.
- Eggnog (Dough) x 1 cup
- Egg (Dough) x 1
- Unsalted butter, melted (Dough) x 4 tablespoon
- Sugar (Dough) x 1/3 cup
- Salt (Dough) x 3/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla (Dough) x 1 teaspoon
- Bread flour (Dough) x 3 cup
- Cornstarch (Dough) x 1/3 cup
- Yeast (Dough) x 1 3/4 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, melted (Filling) x 2 tablespoon
- Sugar (Filling) x 1/4 cup
- Dried Cranberries (Filling) x 3/4 cup
- Chopped pecans (Filling) x 1/2 cup
- Dried orange peel (Filling) x 1 tablespoon
- Unsalted butter (Icing) x 2 tablespoon
- Powdered sugar (Filling) x 3 cup
- Vanilla (Filling) x 1 teaspoon
- Eggnog (Filling) x 3 tablespoon
- Pinch of Salt (Filling) x 1