Creme de Menthe Brownies
Recipe by Meredith Hay
St. Patrick’s Day is quickly approaching and if you’ve got a party to attend, be sure to dress it up with a vibrant punch of green! These classic Crème de Menthe Brownies are bound to impress the eyes and palette. If you’re tight on time, you can always use a box mix for the brownies – but most likely you have all of these ingredients at home already!
- In medium sauce pan melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool. Grease an 8x8 pan (for tall/thick brownies) or a 9x13 pan (for thinner brownies) and set aside. Stir sugar into chocolate mixture in saucepan. Add the eggs, one at time beating with wooden spoon just til combined. Stir in vanilla.
- In small mixing bowl stir together the flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just til combined. Add nuts if desired. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake @ 350 degrees about 25-35 minutes. Cool.
- [Filling] Mix until well blended - with electric mixer. Spread over cooled brownies. Top with icing. Take extra filling and pour it into a small squeeze bottle to decorate the top of the icing for an extra punch of green!
- [Icing] Melt in double boiler or microwave. Ice the top over the filling and let harden at room temperature. Use the remaining filling in a small squeeze bottle on top. These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- [Fudge Brownie] Butter x 1 cup
- [Fudge Brownie] Unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped x 6 ounce
- [Fudge Brownie] Sugar x 2 cup
- [Fudge Brownie] Eggs x 4
- [Fudge Brownie] Vanilla x 2 teaspoon
- [Fudge Brownie] All purpose flour x 1 1/3 cup
- [Fudge Brownie] Baking soda x 1/2 teaspoon
- [Fudge Brownie] Chopped nuts (optional) x 1 cup
- [Filling] Green gel food coloring, 2-4 drops x 1
- [Filling] Powdered sugar x 2 cup
- [Filling] Butter, softened x 4 tablespoon
- [Filling] Cream de Menthe (liquor-the real stuff) x 2 tablespoon
- [Filling] Heavy cream x 2 tablespoon
- [Icing] Semi-sweet chocolate chips x 1 cup
- [Icing] Butter x 4 tablespoon
- [Icing] Vanilla x 1 teaspoon