Dirty Chai Blondie Bars
Recipe by Marie Nowacki
These blondies add a bitter and spicy kick with the addition of espresso and chai tea. This recipe tastes reminiscent of a dirty Chai latte, and will pair well with any afternoon coffee or milk tea. The recipe can be baked to be more fudgey or cakey based upon personal preference. If you want to add a new texture to the mix, toss in some diced almonds or white chocolate chips! Makes 1 9”x13” pan.
- Grease a 9” x 13” pan and line it with parchment paper (optional). Preheat your oven to 350⁰F. In a bowl, combine the flour and the baking powder and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes on high speed until creamed.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition (and scraping the bowl).
- Add the vanilla and coffee and mix until combined.
- Pour the blondie batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes (you can add 5-10 minutes longer for a more cakey texture). Let them cool fully before topping and cutting the bars.
- While the bars are baking, make the Chai Ganache. Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof mixing bowl. Place tea and cream in a medium saucepan and slowly bring to the boil.
- Remove the cream from the heat when it just starts to boil. Pouring through a strainer, add the cream to the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt.
- Wisk the ganache mixture until it is smooth (if there are still lumps, place the bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until they are gone).
- Set the ganache aside to cool until has returned to room temperature and is thickened but still spreadable. Wisk every 5 minutes or so to keep it smooth.
- Spread a thick layer on the cooled Blondie Bars, then cut into the desired shape and size to serve.
- All purpose flour x 2 3/4 cup
- Baking powder x 2 1/2 teaspoon
- Sticks unsalted butter x 1 1/2
- Dark brown sugar x 2 33/100 cup
- Large Eggs x 4
- Vanilla extract x 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Espresso powder x 2 tablespoon
- Chai Tea Mix (Chai Ganache) x 2 tablespoon
- Heavy Whipping Cream (Chai Ganache) x 1 1/4 cup
- white chocolate (Chai Ganache) x 14 ounce