Double Shot Biscotti
Recipe by Meredith Hay
Amp up your morning with these Double Shot Biscotti cookies. With cocoa based dough infused with espresso, chocolate chunks topped with a drizzle of espresso chocolate, you’ll start your day off with this double shot cookie. Chunks of chocolate and nuts are buried in the dough and melt delightfully in your mouth. Don’t skip the twice baked step, as that’s what makes biscotti – biscotti! Dunk them in your cup of coffee or eat by themselves… at anytime of day or night!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle & line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt together.
- In a stand mixer medium speed, beat together the butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and pale.
- Beat in the eggs, one by one, incorporating one completely before adding another. Beat in the espresso.
- Switch the mixer speed to low and mix in the dry ingredients, beating only until incorporated. Don't overwork the dough.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate and nuts with a sturdy rubber spatula.
- Using moistened hands, halve the dough and form 2 (15-by 2-inch) loaves on an the baking sheet, spacing the logs 3 inches apart. (I roll the dough gently with my hands to get an elongated rope and then shaped it, gently stretching and flattening into logs.)
- Bake in the preheated oven until it is mostly firm to the touch, about 25 mins.
- Take the sheet out of the oven and cut the logs crosswise with a sharp serrated knife into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices on the second baking sheet, cut side down. Bake until firm and crisp, about 5 mins on each side.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack and cool. Don’t discard the baking sheet with its parchment paper.
- Once the cookies and baking sheet are completely cool, transfer the cookies back to the sheet. Melt the chocolate and espresso over simmering water in a double boiler or using 20-second short bursts in a microwave (about 1 minute in total).
- Transfer the chocolate to a piping or zip-lock bag. Snip off a small portion at the tip and drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. Cool completely until the chocolate is firm.
- Store airtight between sheets of waxed paper.
- All-purpose flour x 2 cup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder x 1/2 cup
- Baking soda x 1 teaspoon
- Salt x 3/4 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature x 6 tablespoon
- Granulated sugar x 1 cup
- Large Eggs x 2
- Instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water x 2 teaspoon
- Dark chocolate, chopped x 3/4 cup
- Toasted walnuts/pecans, chopped x 3/4 cup
- [Glaze] Instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water x 1 teaspoon
- [Glaze] Chocolate (your choice, I prefer dark!) x 1/2 cup