Easy Chocolate Christmas Cake
Recipe by Lindsay Cotter
Tis the Season...
Tis the Season...
This Chocolate Christmas Cake, also known as Panforte Italian Christmas Cake, is easy to make with maple syrup, nuts, dark chocolate, cocoa, spices, and dried fruit. A Christmas cake that’s both vegan and paleo friendly with a rich chewy toffee-like texture. Serve in small slices or box it as DIY holiday gift.
- First make sure all your fruit and nuts are chopped. And your macadamia nut or hazel nuts are in halves.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Toast the nuts for 5-10 minutes or until golden. Each oven will vary.
- Remove from oven. (*Note* you can use macadamia nuts that are roasted and not toast them, just chop).
- Now reduce your oven to 325F.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease or line a 8 to 9 inc cake pan with parchment paper. I greased the sides and lined the bottom with parchment paper.
- Combine fruit, nuts, flour, cocoa, ground ginger, cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Next Combine your maple syrup and palm sugar in a small sauce pot. Mix on low until sugar is dissolved, then bring to a boil. Should reach around 245F. Remove from boil and let it simmer on low 1 -2 minutes.
- Add chocolate and stir until melted (2-3 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Immediately pour the hot syrup and vanilla over the fruit and nut mixture and, with a sturdy spoon, mix quickly until everything mixed and coated..
- Press into prepared caked tin. I would use a spatula that is a bit damp to press the batter into the tin. That way it doesn't stick.
- Bake until set (about 35 minutes or so)
- Remove from oven
- Let it sit and cool for a few hours.
- Once cooled, dust with cocoa and/or powdered sugar.
- Slice thin or into small blocks, then keep wrapped or in a tight container. Should make 15-20 small slices or more if you cut into small 1-2 inch squares.
- To keep flavor Wrap tightly in parchment paper and store in tin. Keeps well for a while there.
- Dried fruit (fig, dried cranberries, cherries, or pitted dates) x 2 1/2 cup
- Blanched almonds, toasted and then coarsely chopped x 1 1/4 cup
- Macadamia nuts or hazelnuts (halves, roasted or toasted (if you are using hazelnuts, remove the skin first) x 1 cup
- coconut flour x 3 1/2 tablespoon
- cocoa powder x 2 tablespoon
- Cinnamon x 1 teaspoon
- Ground ginger x 1/4 teaspoon
- Maple Syrup x 1/2 cup
- coconut palm sugar x 1/2 cup
- coconut oil x 2 tablespoon
- Vanilla x 1 teaspoon
- chopped dark chocolate (around 60-70% cacao) x 1/2 cup
- powdered sugar and cocoa or cacao powder to dust x 1