Easy Millionaire’s Shortbread
Recipe by Lindsay M
Made with Mom
Made with Mom
I’ve made this for a number of special events in my kids’ lives, which makes it feel like a mom staple. I learned early on that it was too time consuming to make my own caramel, so I’ve simplified it by using the most delicious store-bought dulce de leche.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper and cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, butter, and sugar with your fingers or a pastry cutter. Press the dough into the pan. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Allow to cool completely.
- Spread dulce de leche evenly over the cooled shortbread. If it’s too stiff, heat dulce de leche in the microwave for a few seconds in a small bowl until loosened a bit, then pour over shortbread.
- Place two thirds of the chocolate and 2 tablespoons butter in a medium bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until almost completely melted. Add the remaining chocolate and stir until smooth and melted. Pour evenly over the caramel layer. Sprinkle lightly with flaked sea salt.
- Place in the refrigerator or freezer until set. Use the parchment to remove the bars from the pan and use a knife run under warm water to cut the bars. If the chocolate begins to crack, allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before cutting, or keep running the knife under warm water in-between slices.
- All-purpose flour x 3/4 cup
- Butter, cold and cut into pieces x 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar x 1/4 cup
- Canned dulce de leche x 13 ounce
- Dark chocolate (at least 70% cacao), roughly chopped x 3 ounce
- Butter x 2 tablespoon
- Flaked sea salt (optional) x 1