German Chocolate Cake
Recipe by Meredith Hay
Traditional German Chocolate Cake is actually to be made without chocolate frosting. What fun would a cake without frosting be? Celebrate chocolate this month by making this delicate layered chocolate cake with coconut and pecan filling wrapped with classic chocolate buttercream frosting!
- Three 9 inch round cake pans, greased and floured generously
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with rack in the center.
- First, prepare the chocolate. Microwave the water until boiling then pour over chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Stir in vanilla to combine. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Next, in a stand mixer, cream the softened butter on medium until light and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Then add each yolk one at a time and mix until everything comes together.
- Make sure the chocolate is cooled, add it to the mixer.
- Next, alternate between the flour mixture and buttermilk. Start and end with the flour (4 flour portions/3 buttermilk portions). Once everything is well combined, scrape down the sides.
- In a clean medium bowl, whip the egg whites until they are stiff (but not dry).
- Slowly fold the egg whites into the mixture and turn on low for just a minute or two until everything is married together.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 3 pans, and place in the center of the oven for 28-35 minutes. Depending on how your oven cooks you may not need the full 35 minutes (or you might!) Remove from the oven when done, and cool on a cooling rack before decorating.
- These layers can remain at room temperature, wrapped in plastic wrap for 3 days before decorating if you need to make this cake in stages.
- Filling/topping: In a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly add together the evaporated milk, butter, sugar, beaten egg yolks and beaten egg yolks. You want the mixture to reach a steady bubble (but not boil!) for about 10 to 12 minutes. Once finished, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans.
- Filling/topping: Once the filling/topping has cooled, you can begin assembly of the cake.
- Filling/topping: Spoon 1/3 of the filling on top of one layer and place a second layer on top, repeat with the next two layers. The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting: Add cocoa to a large bowl or bowl of stand mixer, whisk to remove lumps.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting: Next, cream together butter and cocoa powder until well-combined. Slowly add confectioners’ sugar and milk at 1 cup/1 tbsp at a time. Repeat until finished.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting: Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- Chocolate Buttercream Frosting: If frosting appears too dry, add more milk, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency. If it appears to wet and does not hold its form, add more confectioners’ sugar, a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- [Chocolate] German Chocolate (sweet), rough chopped x 4 ounce
- [Chocolate] Boiling water x 1/2 cup
- [Chocolate] Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon
- [Cake] Sifted cake flour x 2 1/2 cup
- [Cake] Baking soda x 1 teaspoon
- [Cake] Salt x 1 teaspoon
- [Cake] Unsalted butter, softened at room temperature x 1 cup
- [Cake] Granulated sugar x 2 cup
- [Cake] eggs, separated: 1 bowl of 4 whites, 1 bowl of 4 yolks x 4
- [Cake] Buttermilk x 1 cup
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Evaporated milk x 1 cup
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Granulated sugar x 1 cup
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Unsalted butter x 1/2 cup
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Large egg yolks, slightly beaten x 3
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Salt x 1/8 teaspoon
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Vanilla extract x 1 1/2 teaspoon
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Unsweetened grated coconut x 1 1/3 cup
- [Coconut-Pecan Filling] Pecans, rough chopped x 1 cup
- [Chocolate Buttercream Frosting] Confectioners’ sugar x 3 1/2 cup
- [Chocolate Buttercream Frosting] Sticks of unsalted butter, room temperature x 2
- [Chocolate Buttercream Frosting] Unsweetened cocoa powder x 1/2 cup
- [Chocolate Buttercream Frosting] Vanilla x 2 teaspoon
- [Chocolate Buttercream Frosting] Milk x 2 tablespoon