German Chocolate Oat Cake
Recipe by Marie Nowacki
Oat of This World
Oat of This World
This is a recipe that my grandma grew up making, and that she passed down to me. We used to make this in the summertime when I would visit her in Germany. This uniquely moist, chewy, chocolaty cake is easy to make. It is a yummy snack that also packs a healthy punch from the oats!
- On the stovetop, heat your water over medium/high heat until it is at a rolling boil.
- Put oats into a heat-proof bowl. Pour the boiling water over the oats.
- Add in 1/2 cup butter and chocolate. Lightly stir the mixture, then let rest for 20 minutes. Stir again until combined.
- In a separate large bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar, 1 cup of brown sugar, baking soda, and salt until evenly combined.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla at medium speed (this may be done by hand or by electric mixer).
- Add oatmeal mixture and slowly beat until just combined
- Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan, and then lightly coat with flour. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium/high heat, combine 6 tbsp butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar. and cream. Cook until the mixture boils, and then reduce the heat to simmer for 2- 3 minutes, stirring the entire time.
- Take the caramel sauce off the heat and add in nuts, stirring just until coated. Bake the prepared cake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Pour the caramel and nut topping onto the cake and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with coconut flakes.
- Set the oven to broil, and broil the cake until the topping is bubbly (about 1 minute). Cool the cake completely before serving.
- Water x 1 1/4 cup
- Quick-Cooking or Instant Oats x 1 cup
- Unsalted butter x 1/2 cup
- German Baking Chocolate (broken) x 4 ounce
- Flour x 1 1/2 cup
- Granulated sugar x 1 cup
- Light brown sugar (packed) x 3/4 cup
- Baking soda x 1 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg x 3
- Butter x 6 tablespoon
- Heavy cream x 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract x 1/2 teaspoon
- Dark brown sugar (packed) x 3/4 cup