Gluten-free Sea-salt Chocolate Pecan Bars
Recipe by Sonja Grant
We're Going Nuts
We're Going Nuts
My mom made the best pecan bars when I was growing up. As an adult, I've developed a gluten sensitivity, so pecan bars were off limits...until I figured out how to make these gooey, perfect creations! For starters, I'm not a big fan of gluten free crust, but this crust tastes absolutely delicious. My gluten-eating picky husband even thinks that it is insane. The filling is all that you'd hope for in a pecan bar, and the dark chocolate and sea salt add an extra kick that is absolutely addicting.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter two 8 inch circular pie dishes, or one dish and a cupcake pan. This recipe makes quite a bit.
- For the crust, beat the butter, brown and granulated sugar until light and airy.
- Add the eggs and the vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the oat flour, rice flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the batter slowly until just combined. Press the dough evenly into your pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then place the dough into the fridge and allow to cool completely until fully set. I like to put mine in the freezer to expedite the process. Make sure the dough is completely cool, or your filling will go straight to the bottom of the pan when you pour it in.
- For the topping, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, and lemon zest in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat until the butter is melted, using a wooden spoon to stir. Raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the heavy cream and pecans.
- Remove your crust from the fridge/freezer, and put a layer of chocolate chips on top of it, then poor the warm filling over.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, putting in the fridge or freezer until cold. Cut and enjoy!
- Unsalted butter, room temperature x 1 1/4 cup
- Light brown sugar x 1/3 cup
- Granulated sugar x 1/3 cup
- Large Eggs x 2
- Pure vanilla extract x 1/2 teaspoon
- Brown rice flour x 1/2 cup
- Oat flour x 1 3/4 cup
- Baking powder x 1/5 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/8 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter x 3/4 cup
- honey x 1/2 cup
- Dark brown sugar (packed) x 1 1/2 cup
- Grated lemon zest x 1 teaspoon
- Heavy cream x 1/8 cup
- Pecans x 7/10 pound
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips x 1 1/2 cup