Recipe by Meredith Hay
Made with Mom
Made with Mom
This is my Mother’s favorite cake to have each year for her birthday, which also happens to fall a few days before Mother’s Day too. This banana bread cake is packed with pineapple and pecans, layered with a custard cream cheese and can truly be eaten for breakfast! You can get creative with this cake and turn the batter into muffins, or a loaf pan. Either way you go, it will become one of your favorite batters.
- [Cake] Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- [Cake] Stir in bananas and next 5 ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into 4 greased and floured 9-inch square or round cake pans.
- [Cake] Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
- [Cake] Spread Cream Cheese Custard Filling between layers. Spread Browned Butter Frosting on top and sides of cake. Chill 1 hour before serving. Store in refrigerator.
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Whisk together first 2 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; whisk in eggs and milk until smooth.
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture reaches a chilled pudding-like thickness.
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Bring to a boil, whisking constantly; boil, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat, and whisk in cream cheese and vanilla until cheese melts.
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Cool to room temperature (about 1 hour). Place plastic wrap directly on mixture (to prevent a film from forming), and chill at least for 2 hours.
- [Frosting] In a stand mixer, whip butter until smooth then slowly add sugar a little at a time until fully incorporated.
- [Frosting] Slowly add in the milk in a drizzle, stop if the mixture appears too wet.
- [Frosting] Add a little extra sugar if needed and then add the vanilla.
- [Frosting] Ice the cake immediately.
- [Cake] All-purpose flour x 3 cup
- [Cake] Sugar x 2 cup
- [Cake] Baking soda x 1 teaspoon
- [Cake] Table salt x 1 teaspoon
- [Cake] Ground cinnamon x 1 teaspoon
- [Cake] Diced ripe bananas (about 3 medium) x 2 cup
- [Cake] Large eggs, beaten x 3
- [Cake] Chopped toasted pecans x 1 cup
- [Cake] Vegetable oil x 1 cup
- [Cake] Crushed pineapple, undrained (1 can) x 8 ounce
- [Cake] Vanilla extract x 2 tablespoon
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Sugar x 3/4 cup
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] All purpose flour x 1/3 cup
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Large Eggs x 3
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Milk x 1 1/2 cup
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] 1 Package cream cheese, cubed and softened x 8 ounce
- [Cream Cheese Custard Filling] Vanilla extract x 1 tablespoon
- [Frosting] Butter x 1 cup
- [Frosting] 1 package powdered sugar x 16 ounce
- [Frosting] Milk x 1/4 cup
- [Frosting] Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon