Mexican Spiced Coffee Shortbread Cookies
Recipe by Laura Z.
A chocolate dipped, crisp and buttery shortbread cookie with an alluring blend of coffee and spices. Sweet, spicy, and melt in your mouth delicious, these cookies are the perfect pair to a fresh cup of coffee.
- Combine the butter and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until smooth.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour, spices, and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper, shape into a log about 2” in diameter, wrap tightly, and place in the freezer for about 30 minutes. If not planning to bake right away, dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the freezer, slice into ¼” slices, and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the dark chocolate chips in a double boiler or microwave on medium heat for 30 second intervals.
- Dip the cooled cookies into the dark chocolate and set aside to harden.
- Enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee!
- Butter, at room temperature (2 sticks) x 1 cup
- Powdered sugar x 2/3 cup
- All-purpose flour, sifted x 2 1/3 cup
- Espresso powder or finely ground coffee x 2 tablespoon
- Cinnamon x 1 teaspoon
- Anise seed x 1/2 teaspoon
- Chili powder x 1/4 teaspoon
- Ground cloves x 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon
- Dark chocolate chips x 1 cup