Recipe by Meredith Hay
Made with Mom
Made with Mom
For a quick crowd pleaser, try this classic at your next family get together. Nothing beats chocolate pudding and cool whip, and chances are even your Mom has had this recipe before. Treat her and your family to this one pan dessert that can be completed in under an hour (plus time to chill before serving). It can be made the night before just be sure it’s in an airtight container!
- [Crust] Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl using a wooden spoon or hand mixer until combined.
- [Crust] Pat firmly into a 13x9 glass pan, which has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- [Crust] Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, careful to not let it brown, remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- [Second Layer] Mix all ingredients with a hand mixer until completely smooth. If you're still seeing lumps, let it sit at room temperature a little longer. Chances are your cream cheese was too cold still!
- [Second Layer] Make sure the crust is completely cool, and spread evenly across the crust. Set aside.
- [Third Layer] Make the instant chocolate pudding! Take note that instant pudding will NOT set with soy milk or almond milk. If you need to skip real milk for this step, make sure you have a thickener on hand.
- [Third Layer] I was out of corn starch (because pie season is over) but oddly had some tapioca starch on hand since I drink almond milk exclusively. Just add a little at a time until the mixture thickens up.
- [Third Layer] Spread over the second layer.
- [Last Layer] Take the remaining Cool Whip and spread evenly over the chocolate pudding, careful not to disturb the layer.
- [Last Layer] Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and shaved chocolate.
- [Last Layer] Cover in with an airtight lid and refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) and enjoy!!
- [Crust] Flour x 1 cup
- [Crust] Chopped pecans x 1/2 cup
- [Crust] Unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 Stick) x 1
- [Crust] Granulated sugar x 2 tablespoon
- [Second Layer] Cool Whip x 1 cup
- [Second Layer] Package of cream cheese, at room temperature x 8 ounce
- [Second Layer] Powdered sugar x 1 cup
- [Second Layer] Vanilla x 1 teaspoon
- [Third Layer] Large package of instant chocolate pudding x 1
- [Third Layer] Milk x 2 3/4 cup