Old Fashioned Dutch Apple Pie
Recipe by Jane M
How About Them Apples
How About Them Apples
Sometimes, the simplest pleasures are always the best! If you're looking for a quick, yet incredibly sophisticated apple pie recipe, look no further than this traditional favorite from the Old Continent's Low Country. Apples are the star of the dish, but it is the sweetness and complexity of the almond cream, coupled with the pie's supreme finesse from the almond sugar crust, that truly make this dessert stand out.
- Prepare the pie crust (sugar dough) Cream the butter, and add icing sugar, almond powder. Incorporate each ingredient into your smooth dough and add the egg and vanilla extract, ending with the sifted flour. Make two balls with the dough, film and refrigerate for 1 hour minimum.
- Prepare your marzipan. In a bowl, separate your eggs and set aside the yolk. In another bowl, mix together your egg whites, powder sugar, and almond until all ingredients are well incorporated. Cover your bowl with foil and refrigerate.
- Prepare your apples. Peel, core, and cut your apples into dices.
- Assemble. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Butter and flour your pie pan to make sure your pie won't stick after baking. Spread your first pie crust ball and place it carefully into the pan. Use some of the leftover egg yolk to coat the bottom of the crust and coat it with some almond powder. This will help prevent the apples from releasing too much liquid while baking. Add your diced apples, sugar, and cinnamon. Scatter some frangipane bits in between them, and optionally, some raisins. Spread your second pie crust ball into your work area and cut it into large strips. Place your strips atop the apples, forming a lattice design atop the pastry. Coast your leftover egg yolk atop this cover to give your pie a nice shiny finish!
- Butter, creamed (Dough) x 300 gram
- Powder sugar (Dough) x 190 gram
- Egg (Dough) x 2
- Almond flour (Dough) x 60 cup
- Vanilla extract (Dough) x 2 teaspoon
- Flour, sifted (Dough) x 500 gram
- Apples (chopped and peeled and cut into small pieces) x 4 pound
- Egg Yolk (Pie base+Pie top) x 2 fluid ounce
- Almond flour (Pie base) x 4 teaspoon
- Powder sugar (Marzipan) x 150 gram
- Almond flour (Marzipan) x 150 gram
- Egg whites x 2 fluid ounce