Orange Clove Coffee Cake
Recipe by Lindsay M
Tis the Season...
Tis the Season...
This recipe reminds me of the holidays because coffee cake has always been a favorite way to enjoy the morning before or after a big meal, and my family loves to have oranges studded with cloves out decorating our tables and giving off their lovely holiday scent. This cake is thick, with a rich layer of spiced streusel running through the middle.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 cup light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon cloves. Using your fingers, mix in 4 tablespoons butter until incorporated and crumbly. Place the bowl in the refrigerator.
- In another bowl, combine 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 3/4 cups butter and 1 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition. Add orange zest and yogurt and mix again. Add the flour mixture in about three parts, mixing until just combined after each addition. Add 1 cup orange juice and mix by hand with a wooden spoon. Batter should be combined but may be a little lumpy.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with half the brown sugar crumble, then top evenly with the remaining batter. Sprinkle on the remaining crumble. Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If the topping begins to brown too quickly, cover loosely with aluminum foil for the remainder of the baking time. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon orange juice, and a pinch of cloves. If it is too thick add a bit more orange juice. If it becomes too wet add a little more powdered sugar. The glaze should drip easily off a spoon. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Light brown sugar (packed) x 1 cup
- All purpose flour x 2 cup
- All purpose flour x 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour x 2 tablespoon
- Cinnamon x 1/2 teaspoon
- Cloves x 1/2 teaspoon
- Cloves (pinch) x 1
- Butter, unsalted and softened x 1 cup
- Baking powder x 2 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/4 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar x 1 cup
- Eggs x 3
- Orange zest x 1 teaspoon
- Orange zest x 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole milk plain yogurt x 1/4 cup
- Orange juice x 1 cup
- Orange juice x 2 teaspoon
- powdered sugar, sifted x 1/3 cup