Peppermint Mocha Cupcake
Recipe by Paige Miller
Tis the Season...
Tis the Season...
A rich dark chocolate espresso cupcake, topped with a fluffy and refreshing peppermint buttercream....it's the perfect seasonal treat!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and set aside
- In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment (or a large bowl with a whisk), combine eggs, brown sugar and white sugar. Once combined, add the milk, coffee and melted butter. Gradually add the dry ingredients. Once fully full incorporated, divide batter evenly among the 24 cupcake mold.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of the cupcake comes out clean. Be sure to cool completely before frosting.
- For the buttercream, using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or a large bowl and a handheld mixer), beat the butter on medium until creamy. Add the cream cheese, vanilla extract and peppermint oil. Gradually increase mixer speed to high, beat until smooth. Reduce speed to low and slowly add confectioners' sugar, until well combined. To ensure smoothness, beat on high for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer buttercream into a prepared pastry/piping bag (fitted with the tip of your choosing). Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes
- For the Peppermint Bark, line a 9 x13 inch cookie sheet/baking dish with parchment paper and set up a double boiler. Put all the semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl over the saucepan of simmering water (make sure that the bowl doesn't touch the water) and stir until about 2/3 of the chocolate is melted. Remove, continue to stir and return back to simmering water until completed melted. Once melted, remove and add 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract, stir and then pour into prepared baking dish, spreading evenly. Set aside at room temperature for about 10 minutes. REPEAT the process for the white chocolate. Once spread over the semisweet chocolate, sprinkle crushed peppermint candies. Allow to set of about an hour before breaking into pieces
- Wedge 1-2 pieces of peppermint bark into the buttercream frosting on the cupcake and ENJOY!!!
- All purpose flour - cupcake x 2 1/4 cup
- Ghirardelli Special Dark Chocolate cocoa powder - cupcake x 1/2 cup
- Baking soda -cupcake x 2 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - cupcake x 1/2 teaspoon
- Large Eggs - cupcake x 2
- Light brown sugar (packed) - cupcake x 1 cup
- Granulated sugar - cupcake x 1 cup
- Whole Milk - cupcake x 1 cup
- Whole Milk - cupcake x 2 tablespoon
- espresso or strong brewed coffee - cupcake x 2/3 cup
- unsalted butter, melted - cupcake x 1 cup
- unsalted butter, softened - buttercream x 1 cup
- Cream Cheese - buttercream x 8 ounce
- Vanilla extract x 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Pure Peppermint Oil (peppermint extract works fine as well, you will need more though) - buttercream x 1/4 teaspoon
- Confectioner's Sugar(sifted) - buttercream x 4 1/2 cup
- Peppermint candies(crushed) - buttercream x 3/4 cup
- semisweet chocolate, chopped into pieces - bark x 12 ounce
- white chocolate, chopped into pieces - bark x 16 ounce
- peppermint extract - bark x 1 1/2 teaspoon
- peppermint candies, crushed - bark x 12