Poached Pear and Gingerbread Cake
Recipe by Kathy Goldman
Tis the Season...
Tis the Season...
Easy and effortless, no expert baking skills were required. And oh, what a stunner! The white pears against the dark gingerbread couldn't be prettier. What a wonderful dessert to make or gift for the holidays!
- For the poached pear ingredients, add all the ingredients to a large saucepan or small dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook pears for 20-30 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork but not mushy. Do not overcook. Remove from the poaching liquid and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 10 x 5 x 3" loaf pan.
- Beat the butter, molasses, and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract. Beat for 3 minutes. Stir in grated ginger.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Slowly alternate folding in the flour and yogurt, beginning with the flour until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, then gently place the pears, spacing them evenly into the batter, bottom side down, so they are standing upright.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan on a rack for 20 minutes. Gently run a knife around the edges to loosen and carefully remove from the pan.
- Seckel Pears, peeled, left whole, with stems attached (poached pears) x 3
- Bottle of white wine (poached pears) x 1
- Water (poached pears) x 1 cup
- Brown sugar (poached pears) x 1/2 cup
- strip about 3'' of an orange peel (poached pears) x 1
- cinnamon sticks (poached pears) x 2
- cardamon pods (poached pears) x 5
- Unsalted butter, room temperature x 12 tablespoon
- Molasses x 1/2 cup
- Dark brown sugar x 1/2 cup
- Large Eggs x 3
- Vanilla x 1 tablespoon
- fresh, unpeeled ginger, grated (use a microplane) x 2 tablespoon
- All purpose flour x 2 1/2 cup
- Baking powder x 2 teaspoon
- Baking soda x 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon x 1 teaspoon
- Salt x 1 teaspoon
- plain, lowfat Greek yogurt, room temp x 1 cup