Pumpkin Muffins With Walnut Crumble
Recipe by Ivy Fitzwater
Pump It Up
Pump It Up
These muffins are a lovely addition to any fall gathering, especially as Thanksgiving breakfast served with your favorite blend of coffee or tea. Sweet and savory pairings of roasted pumpkin, brown sugar and black walnuts create a charming pastry that is sure to please the palette.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. [[IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO PIE PUMPKINS, USE CANNED]] Thoroughly wash the outside of the pumpkin. Cut in half and remove seeds and fibrous strings. Cut the pumpkin halves into smaller pieces, placing them skin side up in a shallow baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom of the dish. Cover tightly and bake until pumpkin is fork tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop the pumpkin flesh from the peel, mash and set aside to cool completely.
- Prepare a standard size muffin pan with 12 liners. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg and set aside.
- Using a mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in 1 Cup of the mashed pumpkin and vanilla, then beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Divide batter into prepared muffin pan. And prepare crumble topping.
- For the crumble: Combine 1/3 C all purpose flour, 1/4 C dark brown sugar, and 1/2 C finely crushed black walnuts. Using your hands, mix in 4 T of softened, unsalted butter until the mixture resembles dough crumbles.
- Evenly sprinkle crumble on top of each muffin and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mashed pumpkin x 1 cup
- All purpose flour x 1 cup
- Baking powder x 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda x 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon x 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger x 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg x 1/2 teaspoon
- Allspice x 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt x 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter, softened and unsalted x 1/2 cup
- Light brown sugar (packed) x 1/2 cup
- Eggs x 2
- For Crumble: All purpose flour x 1/3 cup
- For Crumble: Dark brown sugar (packed) x 1/4 cup
- For Crumble: Black walnuts (finely crushed) x 1/2 cup
- For Crumble: Butter x 4 tablespoon
- Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon