Recipe by Meredith Hay
Made with Mom
Made with Mom
Rhubarb’s season is so short, but it can serve as a simple reminder that Mother’s Day is around the corner when you see it pop up in the grocery store! This is a fail proof way to experiment with the vegetable (but often confused as a fruit) since it pairs so well with strawberries and sits perfectly on top of a classic shortbread crust. This Mother’s Day surprise your wife or Mother, with this delicate yet simple rhubarb tart.
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until the dough comes together.
- Press into a greased 12 inch tart pan, and place in the refrigerator while you work on the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- [Filling] Using a mandolin, slice roughly 40 pieces of rhubarb and gently lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- [Filling] Dice up the remaining rhubarb and all strawberries, toss into a bowl.
- [Filling] Cover the fruit in sugar, cornstarch, salt and lemon juice.
- [Filling] Stir well to cover the fruit in the mixture.
- [Filling] Remove the tart pan from the refrigerator and pour filling in, making sure to smooth the top.
- [Filling] Begin building your rhubarb lattice top working from the top down.
- [Filling] Place in the oven in the middle rack with a baking sheet on the other rack to catch any dripping.
- [Filling] Bake 45 minutes until bubbly, remove from oven and allow it to cool before serving.
- [Filling] Store in the refrigerator and reheat if desired when serving.
- [Shortbread Crust] Unsalted butter, softened (2 stick) x 1 cup
- [Shortbread Crust] Flour x 2 cup
- [Shortbread Crust] Powdered sugar x 1/2 cup
- [Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling] Stalks of rhubarb, washed and ends trimmed x 3 1/2
- [Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling] Strawberries, diced x 8 ounce
- [Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling] Granulated sugar x 3/4 cup
- [Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling] Cornstarch x 1 tablespoon
- [Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling] Salt x 3/4 teaspoon
- [Rhubarb & Strawberry Filling] Fresh lemon juice x 1 tablespoon