- Create a double boiler by boiling water in a small pot.
- Top with a mixing bowl that rests just on top of the pot.
- Add the egg whites, vanilla, and 2 cups of sugar to the bowl. Whisk very quickly until the mix is hot to the touch. To be EXTRA safe you can heat to 150 degrees, but I just eye balled mine.
- Pull off the heat and add 1 tbsp of cream.
- Whisk quickly. You should be able to cut with a butter knife and it takes 10-15 seconds to seal back over. Use the cream and sugar to thicken and loose the mix.
- Add your food color. ( I prefer gel) Use separate bowls for individual colors and keep the main mix to the side in case you need a thickener. I used Wilton tips 3 and 4.
- Make sure you leave at least 15 minutes dry time between ever color. Best to let cookies dry on the counter over night once complete. The icing will keep a lot of moisture in the cookie itself.
- Heavy cream x 3 tablespoon
- Egg whites x 2
- Powder sugar x 3 cup
- cream of tartar x 1/2 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract x 1 teaspoon