Sour Cream Coffee Cake With Caramelized Apples
Recipe by Jane M
How About Them Apples
How About Them Apples
Coffee cakes are delicious, but let's face it, they're no creative breed. Or are they? This easy and economical recipe will help you rethink everything you thought you knew about coffee cakes. Sophisticated, refined, and tantalizingly decadent, it brings together the crispiness of a crumble topping, the sweetness and complexity of caramelized apples, and the unique flavor of sour cream.
- Batter directions: Preheat oven to 325 F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time until fully combined. Mix in vanilla and heavy whipping cream. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda. Alternately add the dry ingredients and sour cream to your wet ingredients, mixing after each addition, until just combined. Spread half of the batter in a greased 8” square pan. Evenly distribute the caramelized apples over the batter. Spread remaining batter evenly over the apples and sprinkle crumble on top. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Crumble directions: In a medium-sized bowl, combine sugar, flour, egg, and cinnamon. Cube the cold butter and, using your hands, gently work it into the mixture until pea-sized lumps are formed. Optionally, mix in pecans for extra crunch.
- Caramelized apples directions: Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add apples, sugar, and cinnamon and stir to coat the apples. Lower the temperature to medium-low and continue to stir periodically until the apples are a deep brown caramel color and have a buttery soft texture. Set aside to cool on parchment paper.
- Flour (Batter) x 180 gram
- Butter, creamed (Batter) x 1/2 cup
- Sugar (Batter) x 1 cup
- Eggs (Batter) x 3
- Heavy cream (Batter) x 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract (Batter, optional) x 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda (Batter) x 1 teaspoon
- Sour cream (batter) x 1 cup
- Apples (chopped and peeled) x 3 cup
- Flour (Crumble top) x 200 gram
- Sugar (Crumble) x 100 gram
- Butter, creamed (Crumble) x 100 gram
- Egg (Crumble) x 1
- Cinnamon (Crumble) x 1 teaspoon
- Pecans (Crumble, optional) x 1/3 cup