Vegan, Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Recipe by Ashley Melillo
Pump It Up
Pump It Up
These pumpkin spice cookies are soft and chewy with a smooth kick of warming spices. They strike a lovely harmony of sweet and spiced, being neither too much of one or the other. Their texture reminds me of molasses cookies in that they’re almost bendable. Yet they’re also incredibly soft, tender, and even a bit puffy, too.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the coconut sugar, pumpkin purée, coconut oil, brown rice syrup, and vanilla extract for 1 minute using a hand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or stand mixer fitted with the beater attachments.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, cloves, and sea salt. Place within reach of the mixer.
- With the mixer off, add the dry ingredients. Turn the mixer on low and slowly increase speed to medium and beat for 15 seconds or until the flour mixture is just incorporated, stopping to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula if necessary. The mixture will resemble a loosely set cookie dough. Chill the dough in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until just firm enough to scoop.
- Use a cookie scoop or 2-tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough. Then, release the dough onto one of the lined pans (or hold the measuring spoon over the pan and use a spoon to scoop the dough out, allowing it to drop on the pan). Repeat with all remaining cookie dough.You should have 14 to 16 cookies.
- Bake for 12 to 16 minutes, or until the cookies are puffy with crinkled tops and the edges are golden brown. If your oven is prone to uneven baking, rotate the pans at the 6-minute mark to ensure both trays bake evenly.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the pans before using a spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- coconut sugar x 1 cup
- Unsweetened Pumpkin puree , room temperature x 1 cup
- virgin coconut oil x 1/4 cup
- Brown rice syrup x 2 tablespoon
- Pure vanilla extract x 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Oat flour x 1 3/4 cup
- aluminum-free baking powder x 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda x 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon x 1 teaspoon
- Ground nutmeg x 3/4 teaspoon
- Ground ginger x 3/4 teaspoon
- ground allspice x 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground cloves x 1/4 teaspoon
- fine grain sea salt x 1/2 teaspoon